Superfood Falafel

Hello lovely readers, time for my first post! What a better way to kick start this journey than with one of my favourite newly created recipes. Yes thats right, an original recipe for a quick and easy dinner. Basically, a friend from university once told me that it is 'impossible' to make an enjoyable vegetarian meal. Oh how wrong he was. So, after a pretty heated conservation, I invited him round for my version of spaghetti meatballs. Alas, my 'Superfood Falafels' were born! I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do, it's super heathly, super yummy, and will leave you yearning for more. 
On a side note, this recipe is just for the Falafels only. A little tip: I served the Falafels with blanched courgetti spaghetti (made using a spiralizer) and my homemade tomato sauce, both recipes can be found on my blog. This recipe is incredibly versatile, mould them into patties and serve them in a bun, or play it simple and serve them with sweet potato fries! 


Ingredients: 
(Makes 12 Balls - Serves 2-3, 1 serving is roughly 150 calories) 
- 50grams of Fresh Spinach 
- 50grams of Fresh Kale 
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1 400g tin of Chickpeas (Drained) 
- 50grams of Feta Cheese 
- 25grams of Pine Nuts 
- 1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil 
- 1/2 Teaspoon of Chilli Powder 
- A Good pinch of Salt and Pepper 

Method: 
1) Set the oven to 180'C 

2) Grab a big pan, and using the Spinach, half the Kale, and both cloves of Garlic - Fry on a medium heat with a splash of the olive oil until wilted. 

3) With the remaining Kale, put it on a baking tray and roast in the pre-heated oven for around 4 minutes. You want the Kale to be crispy, not burnt. 

4) Grab a big bowl, and put in the wilted Spinach mix, Crispy Kale, drained Chickpeas, remaining Olive Oil, Chilli Powder, and season generously. 

5) Mash together until smooth (or until desired texture). I used a stick blender, but a potato masher will work just as well (and provides an added arm workout!)

6) Crumble in the Feta, and add the Pine nuts mixing everything together with a fork until combined.

7) Using your hands, shape Falafels into desired shape and place on a baking tray. I made 12 round balls, but if you want to make 4 larger burger patties then go ahead! 

8) Place the baking tray into the fridge to chill for at least half an hour. Then after 30 minutes, bake in the oven (still at 180'C) for 10-15 minutes until brown on the outside. 
You're done! Now go put your feet up, and enjoy your healthy, wholesome, delicious meal! 

Charlotte x

Post a Comment